Monday, April 27, 2009

Rescue

So I had an incredible weekend that was a fusion of all things wonderful. There was an epic thunderstorm, a few adventures, some really good, really important discussions, and just a lot of good memories.

Unfortunately some of the memories are a little tainted. I spent Saturday evening, and overnight in Queen's Park with an amazing group of people as part of a rally for Invisible Children. In over 80 cities across the world people came together to wait for their rescuers to a
rrive. In Toronto we were rescued by Olivia Chow, and had shows of support from Jack Layton, Rick Mercer, and Rob Dyer as well... last I heard they were still waiting to be rescued in Chicago.

In much the same way there are children in Uganda who have been abducted by the Lords Resistance Army lead by Joseph Kony, he trains them to fight. The idea behind the Rescue was to motivate governments to do something, to go rescue these children who have been forced to grow up too quickly, and to commit attrocities that are alien to us in our safe protected culture.
Check out some websites, and write some letters.
Invisible Children

Pictured: Lynn, A Statue of a Man on a Horse, Rick Mercer's forehead

You found me, alive but unworthy, broken and empty, you don't care. Because you are my rapture, you are my saviour. When all my hope is gone I reach for you. You are my rescue.
Rescue - Seabird

No comments: