Sunday, July 12, 2009

Disney Girls

Wow, it's hard to blog while you're at camp.
It's interesting how time changes the way you think. Well, maybe it doesn't change the way you think, but it certainly changes the way I think. It should, that's healthy. As you experience, and live, your perceptions will change. I find that recently it's been difficult for me to watch a movie without getting in to the thematic messages. This has been especially interesting as I've been watching a lot of Disney.
Don't get me wrong, I still love Disney movies. I still choose to watch them, and I quite enjoy the stories most of the time, but I seem to consistently find something in them that causes me to question what I'm watching. I know, they are cartoons. I understand that. They are also cartoons I grew up watching, and even though I'm not a fox who steals from a lion and gives to the poor, I related to those movies, and I was influenced by them.
I first started thinking this through when I was watching the Little Mermaid about a month ago. They meet, and get married within a few days, most of which she is unable to speak for. What is that relationship founded on? They weren't even able to communicate with each other properly. Was it based purely on physical appearance?
I know I'm probably reading in to things too much. I just can't help but wonder if Disney movies have inadvertantly inflicted damage on a generations perception of healthy relationships. They seem innocent, and almost always have some sort of moral message, but I think that's what makes them more dangerous.
If only I had a critical eye when I was five...

No comments: