Sunday, May 07, 2006

Ladies and Gentlemen: Review 1

That's right, Punk has gone 90's. After Punk went Pop and then went 80's I have to admit I was eagerly awaiting the next installment. A couple of months ago I started to hear about it via mae's website. I scoured the internet finally stumbling accross a track listing. First thing to catch my attention was the list of artists appearing. There is some serious talent here not to mention some surprises. mae, Plain White T's, Copeland and Anberlin were definite pluses for me though I was intrigued by the addition of Gym Class Heroes and their unique blend of punk and hip-hop. Now to the music, there are some definite hits on this cd though they're mixed with disappointments. I was shocked to hear Mae was going to be performing March of the Pigs by Nine Inch Nails, their styles strike me as contradictory and I was hoping that they could pull it off. However this Mark Hoppus produced track fails to impress and causes me to question how well I know mae as a band. Copeland also failed to impress much to my dismay with their attempt on Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun. Met with disappointment early on I worried about the outcome of the rest of the cd, and thanks to Cartel, So They Say, and others I can say that this CD will likely get repeated play on my iPod. So They Say followed up their Punk Goes 80's cover of Forever Young with an equally impressive cover of In Bloom by Nirvana, and Bedlight for Blue Eyes did an exceptional job on Third Eye Blind's Jumper. Other highlights include Cartel's Wonderwall, Plain White T's Song 2 and Anberlin's Enjoy the Silence. This CD hits May 9th, you can see a full track listing and order a copy online here. Or click here to hear samples and judge for yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm a little bit sketchy about anyone covering nirvana songs, considering they are my favourite band. but i'm generally not a fan of covers at all, and i tend to like most of the 'punk goes ...' installments, so i suppose i will give this one a try as well.